Use the Check Employment Status for Tax (CEST) tool to find out if you, or a worker on a specific engagement, should be classed as employed or self-employed for tax purposes.
The Check Employment Status for Tax tool allows you to find out a worker’s employment status according to HMRC.
What you will need before you use the tool
Before you use the CEST Tool, there are a few things you will need to prepare. They are as follows:
- details of the contract
- the worker’s responsibilities
- who decides what work needs to be done
- who decides when, where and how the work is done
- how the worker will be paid
- if the engagement includes any corporate benefits or reimbursement for expenses
Who can use this tool?
You can use this tool to check the employment status of a person if you are one of the following:
- agency and supplier